Page 1 of 1

Makos Complex - the factory floor

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 pm
by Terrainosaur
This is the first picture of the factory floor, the surface that the buildings sit on. It's 5' wide by 6' long. And only 1/2" thick, for what it's worth. Most of the plates I made are 6"x6". I made a few that were a full 1' square but I found the bottoms warped too much. I had to correct the big plates before painting them. They're all based on 1/2" foamcore, to give them a bottom that can slide, allows them to be stacked, and doesn't make them heavy.

I made 512 casts of Hirst Arts Castlemolds to get the roughly 3,000 tiles I needed to make this. The casting time took weeks!

The paint is just GW Boltgun Metal ... and when I ran out of that I had to buy many pots of GW Leadbelcher.

Click the link for a bigger pic.

Image

More pics of the floor to come.

Second picture

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 am
by Terrainosaur
Here's another picture, this one closer to see the details. I painted the pipes in the floor bronze to make them stand out from the metal floor.

Image

Third picture

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:06 am
by Terrainosaur
Image

Fourth pic

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:35 am
by Terrainosaur
Image

Fifth pic

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:12 pm
by Terrainosaur
Image

Sixth pic

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 pm
by Terrainosaur
Image

Seventh pic

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 pm
by Terrainosaur
Image

Eighth pic

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 pm
by Terrainosaur
Image

Ninth pic

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 am
by Terrainosaur
It's hard to get a panoramic shot of the table without getting a lot of background clutter, but here it is.

Image

A tile

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:41 pm
by Terrainosaur
This is the first tile I made and painted. It's 6" x 6".

Image

Piper junction tile

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:44 pm
by Terrainosaur
There isn't an intersection piece for the in-floor pipes (the brass pieces). I made one which you can see in these pics.

Image
Image

The casting process

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 am
by Terrainosaur
I'll post some pics during the casting process. Here's my prototype: a 6" x 6" floor tile. I had some weaker material (white) and harder material (gray), so I put the harder pieces on the corners.

Image

My order was for ten molds:
  1. Starship Deck Mold #270
    Service Area Floor Mold #272
    Pipeline Floor Mold #273
    Industrial Edge Mold #325
    2x Large Catwalk Molds #276
    2x Large Grate Molds #277
    2x Large Deck Molds #278
I remember casting about seven molds at a time. Here's picture of them in water and Jet Dry.

Image

This is how I dried them, by spreading them out on my kitchen table. This is one run, of seven molds. I think I did this about 70 times. I know I meant to stop at 40, but underestimated and had to keep going.

Image

Piles of bricks

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 am
by Terrainosaur
When I demolded the bricks for drying, I didn't organize them. Once dry, I dumped them out on the basement gaming table.

Image

Image

Piles of bricks 2

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:36 am
by Terrainosaur
So I had to organize them. It took a couple days of sitting, sorting, and stacking.

The bricks in the middle are 1.5" wide, so that pile is a foot wide. The smaller-brick pile to the left is 6" wide. (Each pile is about 960 bricks.)
The pile to the right is 15" x 15", constituting 450 bricks.

Image

Image

Image